The Centre for Gender Equity/Equality is the implementation arm of the UGC Standing Committee on Gender Equity/Equality. The Standing Committee is the standard setter, policy maker, regulator and arbitrator of UGC policy on gender equity / equality in Sri Lankan universities. The Centre for Gender Equity/Equality is headed by a Director and administrative staff who reports back to the Standing Committee.
Ensuring that the HEIs under the purview of the UGC have the institutional capability to ensure a conducive, gender-just working and learning environment to all its members and are recognized for their excellent practices.
The Goal of the Centre Gender Equity/Equality to promote Gender Equity/Equality in Sri Lankan universities by facilitating the establishment of gender sensitive university cultures and university environments which allow students and university staff (academic/administrative/support) to pursue their work without oppression and discrimination
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity/Equality in the facilitation of the establishment/ development of appropriate structures/systems on Gender Equity / Equality in Universities and HEIs,
- To house and implement a mechanism of redress for sexual and gender-based violence in universities located at the University Grants Commission,
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity / Equality in strengthening grievance redress procedures related to sexual and gender-based violence in Sri Lankan Universities,
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity / Equality on monitoring and supporting Universities and HEIs in implementing of UGC policy on Gender Equity and Equality,
- To facilitate expertise on Gender Equity / Equality to develop university curricula and research, and contribute other gender-related inputs to the University Community.
- To conduct training for university staff, students and communities on Gender Equity / Equality,
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity / Equality develop UGC policy on Gender Equity and Equality in Sri Lankan Universities and HEIs, and
- To facilitate the review UGC policies and programs from a perspectives of Gender Equity / Equality.