The Centre for Gender Equity/Equality is the implementation arm of the UGC Standing Committee on Gender Equity/Equality. The Standing Committee is the standard setter, policy maker, regulator and arbitrator of UGC policy on gender equity / equality in Sri Lankan universities. The Centre for Gender Equity/Equality is headed by a Director and administrative staff who reports back to the Standing Committee.
Gender equality is the notion that men and women are similar; that they have common needs, interests, and priorities based on their humanity that should be treated equally via equal rights, freedoms, status, responsibilities, opportunities, access to resources and benefits, and control over them. Equality is understood to lead to an absence of discrimination.
Gender equity recognizes the differences between men and women depending on their biological sex, their gendered life experiences as well as their social distinctions / intersections. Consequently, men and women have to be treated equitably so as to ensure the fulfillment of these differing needs, interests and priorities. Equity is expected to provide for fairness and justice.
The Centre Gender Equity/Equality is founded on the simultaneous conceptualization of gender equity / equality. This means that both the similarities of men's and women's life experiences as well as the differences in their life experiences are taken into account in conceptualizations and discussions about gender.
Ensuring that the HEIs under the purview of the UGC have the institutional capability to ensure a conducive, gender-just working and learning environment to all its members and are recognized for their excellent practices.
The Goal of the Centre Gender Equity/Equality to promote Gender Equity/Equality in Sri Lankan universities by facilitating the establishment of gender sensitive university cultures and university environments which allow students and university staff (academic / administrative / support) to pursue their work without oppression and discrimination
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity/Equality in the facilitation of the establishment / development of appropriate structures/systems on Gender Equity / Equality in Universities and HEIs,
- To house and implement a mechanism of redress for sexual and Gender-based violence in universities located at the University Grants Commission,
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity/Equality in strengthening grievance redress procedures related to sexual and Gender-based violence in Sri Lankan universities,
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity/Equality on monitoring and supporting universities and HEIs in implementing of UGC policy on Gender Equity and Equality,
- To facilitate expertise on Gender Equity / Equality to develop university curricula and research, and Contribute other Gender-related inputs to the University Community.
- To conduct training for university staff, students and Communities on Gender Equity / Equality,
- To assist the Standing Committee on Gender Equity/Equality develop UGC policy on Gender Equity and Equality in Sri Lankan universities and HEIs, and
- To facilitate the review UGC policies and programs from a perspectives of Gender Equity / Equality.